Most business owners receive an annual determination of their state unemployment (SUTA) tax rates. These rates are based on their company’s unemployment claims “experience.” For example, if you lay off several employees and they collect unemployment, you may receive a rate increase notice due to this change in your experience rating. 

How To Update Your SUTA Rate

While Payroll automatically updates all standard tax rates (e.g., federal income tax, federal unemployment, state/local, etc.), the payroll software does not automatically update SUTA rates, since they are based on your company’s individual experience ratings.

When you receive a SUTA rate change notice, you will need to update this custom tax rate  to calculate this tax correctly. Please note: Our software requires the rate be entered as a percentage. If your state has given you your SUTA rate as a decimal, you will want to convert this to a percentage by moving the decimal two places to the right. (Ex: .027 = 2.7%)

Here’s how:

  • Settings > Payroll Settings > State Unemployment Rates

  • Click Edit for the SUTA rate you want to change (if you have more than one state, or your state has more than one type of SUTA rate).
  • Choose an Effective Date from the dropdown. Refer to the dates on the SUTA notice you received, and select the correct effective date.
  • Enter your new SUTA rate in the Tax Rate field. Make sure this rate is a percentage.
  • Click Save.
  • If you have Full Service Payroll, and if your SUTA rate change causes a SUTA tax adjustment for past payrolls, you will see an additional confirmation screen to preview the pending tax debit/credit to your bank account.  Click Accept.

A history of previously entered SUTA rates will display, including the rate you just entered.

    • Related Articles


      NEW EMPLOYER INFORMATION BY STATE  If you are a new employer and need information to set up your payroll, we have created state-specific information to get you started. Just select the state you are in, and you will be taken to all new employer ...
    • Viewing Quarterly Tax Filing Returns

      You can find copies of your company tax filings under:  Reports > Payroll Tax Reports > Tax Filings For each quarter that we file your payroll taxes, you can view details of all company tax filings and reconciliations for federal, state, and local ...
    • Editing Employee Pay Information ​

      If you need to edit an employee’s pay information:  Payroll > Employees > Employee List > click the employee’s name > Pay Info tab. Click the “Edit” link to change any of these fields. Paylionce Payroll Edit Employee Pay Rate ALWAYS MAKE CHANGES ...
    • Employee Portal Login FAQs

      Employee Portal Login FAQs  www.payrolltime.com  > Employee Portal Login Link Employee Portal Automatic Email Invite Q. How do I know my username and password? A. Your employer may send you an email invitation to sign up to use the employee portal. ...
    • Employee Portal: Forgot or Change Username/ Password

                                                                   Employee Portal Login FAQs Q. How do I know my username and password? A. Your employer may send you an email invitation to sign up to use the employee portal.  You will create your own ...